Monday, November 6, 2017

My Happily Ever After

From the time I was in junior high (and maybe earlier), my dad has taken my sister and me on daddy/daughter dates and later daddy/daughter weekends. He instilled in us at an early age to wait for the man whose heart followed God and who would adore us. He spoiled us on those weekends and told us that our future husbands should love us the same way.

Some people might think my dad set the bar too high or that he set us up for failure by putting unrealistic expectations in our heart. And I’m not saying that young wives and young women don’t sometimes have unrealistic expectations going into marriage. (I’ve blogged before about mine.)

But sometimes it hits me so hard when I look at Howell: This is my happily ever after.



Last night when I went to bed, Howell was warming my side. He does this regularly once the temperature drops. All winter, he’ll think of me when he gets in bed, and while I go through my routine of brushing my teeth and washing my face, he’ll be warming my spot.

The same guy who buys fresh flowers for the table. Who unloads the dishwasher. Who builds me fires and holds my hand while we watch T.V.

It’s not a fairy tale, y’all. It’s real life.

Sure, Howell and I argue sometimes. We disagree. Our feelings get hurt.

But he loves me as my dad prayed a man would. He spoils me, and not just with birthdays and anniversaries, but always. He listen to the Lord and obeys, even when it’s a hard choice.

If you’re single, my friends, I implore you as my dad once did: wait for the man whose heart follows God and who will adore you.


He is out there, and it’ll be worth the wait. 

No comments: