Monday, January 4, 2016

Creating a Vision for Your Family



January is a time when we like to make a lot of new beginnings. The old year has passed, and it’s time to revolutionize our lives and become the new us. Does it ever work? Well, I can’t think of a single New Year’s diet or workout plan that has lasted far into February (or January most years), but there are simple things we can do to change the relationships in our lives that are easier to stick with than the next fad diet. They are probably more beneficial, too.

Today, I’d like to talk to the husbands out there. Ask yourself this question:
What is my vision for my family this year?

If you can’t answer that in ten seconds or less, you probably don’t have one. Well, that’s why we’re here. Let’s discuss it.

First, what is a vision? Webster’s defines it as “a supernatural appearance that conveys a revelation.” A vision, more literally, is something you see, imagine, or dream, but when we use the term from a biblical perspective, it's more related to your purpose and mission. Setting a vision gives you a picture or goal of what change you want to see in your family this year.

Why is this important? Proverbs 29:18 says “Where there is no vision, the people are discouraged.” As spiritual leaders of our homes, one of our greatest duties is to encourage our households. Giving a vision, or goal, for this year is a great way to encourage your wife and let her know what direction you’re taking your marriage.



So what should your vision for your marriage and/or family be? You’ll have to pray about that. It may be something as simple as living a healthier lifestyle or something as big as pursuing a relationship with Christ together on a whole new level.

My vision for my family, this year, is to be more intentional and directional about prayer. We need to spend time focused on His promises for us over the coming year.

Let’s pray. Lord, give me the vision that you have for us. I know that you have in mind what goal you want us to pursue this year and how you want us to go about that. I have an open mind and an open heart, and I’m asking you what I need to do to obey you with my family. I trust in your perfect plan, and we, as a family, seek to glorify you. In Jesus’ name, amen.

This is the second post in our series for The Habits of Marriage. To see the other posts, click here
 
Click to Tweet: Have you set a vision for your family this year? @G2WHubs shares why it's important for your marriage. #MarriageMonday

Howell



No comments: