Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Power of Peace: When Time and Answers are Unknown




So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
I have loved this passage for the message of verse 8, but I never realized I was skipping over the heart of verse 7.

When the disciples ask a Time question, Jesus says, “It is not for you to know the time or season that the Father has fixed by His own authority.” 

Jesus doesn’t answer the disciples’ question, but He offers something greater than that: “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.” 

He is sent in the midst of unknowns and unanswered questions.

The Holy Spirit empowers us in seasons of uncertainty, of chaos, of lost plans, of unexpected outcomes, of disappointment, of overwhelming circumstances. [Tweet this.]

He is our helper, our comforter.

He gives us power to overcome.

We may not get answers, but we get an even great source.

Today, I wade in the midst of uncertainty, and I hate the unknown with all my heart.

If I’m honest, I find a lot of security in the known: What are we looking at? What’s going to happen? What’s the plan? How much will it cost?

But right here, He still whispers His truth: 

Time is established by my Father’s authority. But you have the power of my Holy Spirit. You are empowered to overcome. 

And I am with you always. I am your provider. I am your comfort. I am your helper.

Embrace my peace in the middle of your unknowns.


Friend, if you feel anxious today—maybe you’re waiting for God to move in an area of your life, maybe you’re pushing a deadline that feels impossible, or maybe your plates are spinning with all that you have to do and not enough time to do it—whatever the cause, lean into His peace. He establishes Time. All of it. And right now, in the midst of this that you feel, you are empowered by the Holy Spirit. 


Click to Tweet:
Let the Holy Spirit empower you in the midst of the unknown. via @Grace2write #peace #blog #faith http://ctt.ec/xcaSi+



No comments: